Sunday, May 24, 2009

Who Cares? (God Does!)

If you read the previous post (and, why wouldn't you?) you know that I have stepped away from my full time career as a music and worship director in the church - to pursue doors that seem to be opening primarily in the areas of comedy, acting and music.

As of May 1, I made the bold step of faith and have been somewhat up and down emotionally since then - it's a huge move.

At the same time, I have begun to notice something- something that all Christians SAY talk about but I'm not sure many of us really, truly, actually believe it - God really is faithful. He really is interested in our lives.

God really cares!

In the past two weeks, for example, I have had more auditions for commercials and other on-camera opportunities than I have had since January of this year. A former church staff member of mine tried to link that to the reality that NOW my agent feels more free to send me out on auditions - since I am no longer tied to my full-time church job. That sounds so obvious, doesn't it?

But the truth is - my agent did not work LESS on my behalf before, and she is not working MORE on my behalf now. I believe there are two things at work. First, "the biz" is fickle. That's just the nature of the beast. You can go months with "feast" and you can go months with "famine" and neither is an indication of how "good" or "bad" you are as a talent. It just is what it is. But the other aspect of this - the far more important aspect, in my opinion, is that GOD CARES about me. He cares about my dreams, my passions, my gifts, my wiring, my welfare. God is interested in supplying my needs (Philippians 4:19). Therefore, I am of the mindset that God is the one ultimately "behind" me getting these auditions.

He's also the one behind me booking comedy gigs, getting voice over jobs and composing songs for Christian music publishers and projects.

80% of the above mentioned opportunities have yet to see actual income. But that is not the point - at least that is what I am discovering. The point is NOT "the money." The point is me recognizing that God "is at work."

And the hard lesson there is one all Christians deal with - - letting God do His job as our "pilot." Yeah, it sounds corny. But it's true! God does not want to give us directions - - He wants to STEER THE CAR.

It's not easy, but that is what I am learning. He cares. He drives.

It's that simple.

No comments: