Monday, August 12, 2019

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT


I had the opportunity to share some closing thoughts yesterday to the church where I have faithfully served for nearly four years.  (for those just joining us, I was released from my position due to budget cuts).  

I received many encouraging comments about what I shared and, so, I decided to offer an abridged version here on my blog for those who missed it. 

First - I thanked the church for their love and support.

Then I reminded everyone that earlier in the service we had all made a vow, via reciting The Lord's Prayer.  Basically we affirmed that God is the Almighty ruler of all and that He is to be hallowed. Then I reminded us, as the prayer does, that it's God's Will - not OURS - that we seek to be "done." We must seek GOD'S will - not our agenda for what we think should be done.  Not our ideas of the correct music, or color of the room, or pastoral leadership - but God's will.  This is true, by the way, for all churches.  Today's church seems sidetracked and eager to do God's work for him, making decisions that tend to be more in line with what we humans want to the point of practically ignoring what God may have for us which (as rumor has it) is ALWAYS better.  

Before I left the platform I responded to the question I've been hearing... "...how do you feel?"  My answer to that question is that I have peace like a river, joy like a fountain and love like an ocean in my soul.  The river is the moving and power of the Holy Spirit.  The joy is Jesus Christ in my life.  The love is as vast as an ocean - that is God's love for us and our love for each other.

Thanks MPC for being my home these past four years. And thanks to the many who I was able to serve within the area of music, worship and the creative arts.  Blessings as you continue in your search for the next Pastoral leadership.

Dan McGowan
August 12, 2019

No comments: